Stripe froze my funds, I don’t know what to do. Help!
We recognize that this is the last place you want to be but the number one reason why Stripe freezes funds is because there were direct complaints/chargebacks by backers. This can happen for a number of reasons including when backers didn’t recognize the charge (dollar amount or name on the statement descriptor) or they wanted a refund and did not get one.
To prevent chargebacks whenever you are charging cards in BackerKit, we recommend communicating with your backers often and clearly about upcoming dates when you are locking orders, charging cards, locking addresses, etc. This help article has more details on Best Practices for backer communication.
We put together a short list of recommendations and how to gather supporting documents that you can submit to Stripe to prove how you are raising funds in BackerKit.
- Do you know if you've had chargebacks filed by backers recently? If so, do you know who the backers are? If you know, it would be a good idea to get in touch with the backers and ask them to remove their complaints so you can work with them to address their concerns (maybe they asked for a refund request or they didn't recognize the charge, etc).
- Download the Accounting Reports from BackerKit. To do so, you want to:
- Create a segment with filter: Paid with credit card in BackerKit.
- Click into the Export Reports tab in the segment.
- Navigate to the Accounting Reports folder.
- Download the Expected Revenue (RECOMMENDED FOR USE) or the Collected Revenue report.
- The Expected Revenue report will contain the charge per backer collected in BackerKit by category ( eg. Add-ons, Shipping Fees, Taxes, Upgrades)
- The Collected Revenue report will contain total charge per backer without the categorization.
Lastly, optional but highly recommended, you can take a screenshot of a few backers' orders using the Backer Pledge Details Page to highlight the charges for the backer by category that is included in the main report.
To access Backer Pledge Details Page, search the backer by name or email address using Search Anything search bar at the top of your main dashboard or click into Backers page, located on the left hand side menu.
We hope this helps with reaching a quick resolution with Stripe!
If you have any questions, please reach out to your Success rep or at firstname.lastname@example.org