How do I process refunds on backer surveys?
If a backer asks for a refund, you can only refund add-on purchases or shipping fees collected through BackerKit. If a backer requests a refund for their Campaign Pledge, you must process the refund through your crowdfunding platform.
Note: Feel free to post your refund or exchange policy on the Backer Support FAQ page, or with a pledge question. For more information, see Best practices for backer communication.
Provide a full refund
To fully refund a BackerKit payment:
- Search for the backer by their name, email address, notes, or pledge ID through the search bar at the top of your dashboard, or by clicking Backers on the left hand side.
- When you find the backer, click their name to open their Order Page.
- Remove add-on items from the backer's cart by viewing their survey. For more information, see How do I edit survey answers for backers?
- Make sure to click 'Next' on the survey to save changes.
- Go back to the order page by clicking their name from the top of their survey screen.
- Under Balance, click Refund Payment under the payment transaction.
- Issue full refund. If you have not refunded the backer on your crowdfunding platform, do so before marking canceling survey in BackerKit.
- Mark the pledge as canceled with the Action tab in the upper right hand corner. For more information, see How do I remove backers?
Provide a partial refund
To partially refund a BackerKit payment:
- On the menu on the left, click Backers. (or search the backers name/email from the Search bar at the top of your dashboard)
- Search for the backer by their name, email address, notes, or pledge ID.
- When you find the backer, click View Profile next to their name.
- Click the Order tab.
- Under Payment, you will see 2x links:
- 'View Transaction on Stripe' - This takes you to your Stripe account to view the full Transaction
- 'Refund Payment'
- You can issue a Full Refund, or a Partial Refund through BackerKit.
- Leave amount to issue Full Refund, or adjust to the amount to be refunded (partial)
- If partially refunding for add-ons, you will need to edit the backer's survey and remove those add-ons.
- Please Note: Partially refunding without removing add-ons (or applying complimentary credit) will leave a balance owed, and this backer will be charged again the next time you 'Charge Cards'.
- For more information, see How do I edit survey answers for backers?
Note: If you collected payment via PayPal, you can process full refund using backer's order profile. If you need to offer partial refund via PayPal, please reach out to your success rep or email@example.com.