Options for charging shipping in BackerKit
If you didn’t charge shipping during fundraising, we have different options to collect shipping for your pledge level rewards and add-ons using the BackerKit Pledge Manager.
Jump to: Whole Order Shipping
Whole order weight-based shipping
Whole order shipping is a weight-based profile that calculates the fee based on the total weight of pledge level rewards and add-ons in an order.
Prerequisites to use Whole Order Shipping:
- You didn’t charge shipping on Kickstarter.
- You know all of the weights of their products.
- You want the final shipping fee to be calculated based on the final weight of all items in the backer’s order (pledge level perks + any add-on items)
- Your shipping rates are finalized with their fulfillment partner.
When using whole order weight-based shipping, please make sure to follow these guidelines:
- Do not set up any pledge-level shipping.
- Make sure to enter the weights of all of your SKUs on the SKUs page.
- Only set up one shipping profile, as whole order weight-based shipping profiles will override any other shipping profiles.
- Our shipping tables need rules to cover orders of all weights, so we’ve required an Infinity Rule when using weight-based shipping:
You can start building the Whole Order shipping profile from Add Shipping Fees page > click Create a New Shipping Profile> and select Recommended: Whole order weight-based shipping fee and set up a weight-based shipping table with all of the weight ranges and fees per region.
Whole order weight-based shipping tables look something like this:
Flat pledge level shipping + add-on shipping profiles
This is best for creators that want to charge a flat rate for the pledge tier rewards and then create additional fees for any add-ons purchased. This gives you the capability to get as granular as you need for your project.
This is a big advantage if your campaign has items of all different sizes and or shipping classes and you need to set specific rates for specific items.
Example: You may want to create a unique shipping profile to handle books (media mail rates) and a separate profile to handle all other items that don't qualify for media mail or need to be charged a different shipping rate.
Prerequisites to use Flat Pledge Level Shipping + Add-on Shipping profiles:
- You didn’t charge shipping during your campaign
- You want to have a flat rate for your pledge level items and charge a different rate for your add-ons
- You have your shipping fees set up quoted on the pledge level reward tiers bundles and separate pricing for add-ons.
You can set your pledge level shipping fee up in bulk using our Batch Edit tool:
- On the menu on the left, click on Review Pledge Levels.
- At the top right corner of the screen, click the Batch Edit link.
- Then click on the Pledge level shipping fees tab.
- To set up a new shipping fee, click Add New Shipping Fee or Add EU Shipping Fees and enter the fees
- In the 'Select the pledge levels that you want to apply the shipping fees to' section, check the box next to all pledge levels that you want to apply the shipping fees too.
- Click Apply
Please note: You can also add/edit shipping on individual pledge levels by clicking on "Edit Details" on the Review Pledge Levels page.
You can then set up add-ons shipping profiles to charge shipping for your add-ons. You can learn more about the different types of add-ons shipping profiles here.
Charge Shipping Later (Beta Feature)
We are offering a new beta feature to creators who do not know how much to charge for shipping for their campaign. If you know how much to charge for shipping, then you do not need this feature.
Prerequisites for using Charge Shipping Later:
- You don’t know what you want to charge for shipping
- You want to set and charge for shipping closer to your fulfillment date
- You need extra time to finalize your shipping costs for your project
If you want to opt into this new beta feature, you can skip setting up all shipping fees for your project and send out the survey as you gather more information on how you need to collect shipping rewards.
Note: You can not use this feature and PayPal at the same time, so you would only be able to accept payments via Stripe.
Backers will be notified on their survey that "Shipping will be added and charged later" as shown in the image below.
Once you are ready to charge shipping you will need to reach back out to us so we can help with the next steps.
If this is something you’d like to try, please reach out to your Customer Success representative and ask them to enable it for you!